Monday 27 November 2017

Freeman


YEAR: 2016


Ever wondered what it would feel like flying? Spreading one's wings and soar high into the sky, being weightless and floating towards no specific direction, at least away from your current position, I smiled in envious of 'freeman' as it flapped both wings, circled a huge Baobab tree not very far to our location and nose-dived further into the bushes, how lucky could some get. My troubles resurfaced, presenting it's ugly face before my very eyes in a sneer, while I hated all of it with disdain, I knew I would get out of this, that I was sure of, how I would was what I knew nothing about.

I was itching to speak to one of us but thought against it, because, when I abscond, the person I spoke to must provide me to save his neck, nevertheless, a diversion plan had reared its head and we ought to take the advantage. 6 of us against 3 of them should be in our favour if only we worked together, perfecting a plan. We were asked not to look behind and i knew why, one of them, the meanest probably, had gone in search of more ‘J Boys’, leaving the other 2 who seemed weaklings to watch over us of which I was certain that the one behind us wanted to excrete too. I had listened attentively to his footfall as the sound of dried plants getting
stepped on cried out for justice till they stopped, meaning he had gotten his pick location for his deposit. As the other in front of us turned towards the North like the 6 of us in our sitting position so that he won't seem to be looking at his colleague doing his thing, I whispered "saakpa" to the left and right to enable everyone get the message and made for the East towards SS2 block.

“Scoror! Scoror! Catch that one in red” The one doing his thing behind yelled and he was referring to me because I made sure the rest of us got up and ran before I did, reason being if any was caught, he would provide the rest and since I started the escape, only God knows if I would finish my second term exams in good health. I never bothered gunning away since I knew none of them could and even would catch me. I might not be intelligent enough, not social, not getting all the attentions from my fellow JSS 3 girls, I might not be counted amongst the big boys in JSS 3 block, but I'm certain I was the fastest runner in FGC Kwali Abuja, no doubt, and i brag about it. The other 3 had ran further into ‘Bombay’ probably to burst out from Staff quarters and proceed to Ladi Kwali house while we that ran towards SS2 Block dispersed thereafter to other directions and i proceeded to King Jaja House, metamorphosing into a cluster of other students that had just returned from Labour and was preparing for dinner. I burst into King Jaja Jss 3 hostel and went straight
to Emmanuel's corner who seemed glad to see me.


"Aha! See this bad guy, I'm just returning from your hostel, where you go?"
"Forget that one joor, did they take attendance?"
"Yes they did but I wrote your name"


"Correct! You're the best friend ever, we go act action film for Bombay" Emmanuel was shocked at this statement
"Bombay? You and who?"
"Some SS3 boys wey want show themselves"


This information seemed to startle Emmanuel who asked in a panic

"Hassan! Hope you weren't caught because they will know who wrote your name and…"



Hassan interrupted irritatingly



"Shut up abeg, if they catch me I go de here? You go just de shake unnecessarily.... meet me in my hostel when you're done lets go to dinning from there"


Hassan left the room leaving Emmanuel staring after him in bewilderment.

Back in my corner, my bunk mate was still hailing me for my escape which I shared the details with him. He kept wishing he could sprint like

me whereas I, like the boss that I am, laid down there with eyes closed, smiling to myself and enjoying the accolades as we awaited the bell for dinning. Except I didn't know better, news will get around and I'm pretty sure I would become the talk of Danfodio house after dinning amongst my mates. My bunk mate suddenly stopped hailing me and i assumed he had ran out of adjectives until a familiar 'woosh' sound sent this chill up my spine, circulating electric like currents through my body for a while before the combination of fear and pain formed a stimuli which influenced my 'scamper for safety' response. I opened my eyes to a blurred sight of horror, which gradually became focused at the evil grin of Senior Scoror and his team all holding belts ready to devour me in turns and probably leave me with a tattooed skin of strokes. At this instance, all I could think of was 'Freeman'.

1 comment: